Varicose and Spider Veins plague a great number of American Adults: as many as 1 in 3 adults complain of some form of venous insufficiency. Although many experience symptoms after turning 50, it’s not uncommon for younger individuals to have venous issues, as well.
With vein disease being so prevalent, you’ve likely heard the terms “varicose veins” and “spider veins.” The two are sometimes used interchangeably, but are, in fact, different.
The following information should help you determine whether you have spider veins or varicose veins. It’s not uncommon to have both. Spider veins are cosmetic, and treatment, therefore, is typically not covered by insurance. Varicose veins are typically a medical condition, and treatment is often covered by insurance. Our experienced staff works with your insurance provider to determine your treatment coverage and medical requirements.
- Small, thin, branch-like veins
- Red, purple or blue in color
- Usually grouped/networked together in a fan-shaped pattern
- Visible just beneath the skin’s surface
Spider veins are cosmetic, and not dangerous to your health. However, in some instances, they are a symptom of an underlying venous issue, which is why it’s best to see a vein expert who is experienced in diagnosing and treating all types of vein disease.
- Large, bulging, rope-like veins
- Blue, purple of flesh-colored
- Range in size from small to quite large
- Are often symptomatic, including leg swelling, heaviness and itching
at the end of the day
- Typically caused by venous insufficiency or reflux, thus requiring medical treatment to prevent progression of disease
If you are interested in finding out more about your treatment options, please call Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute, and by asking you a few questions about your veins and their symptoms, we can give you a better idea whether you are needing spider vein treatment or varicose vein treatment. You may also wish to come by for a free vein screening to decided if a more thorough workup is needed. Our physician, Dr. Robert Cutchen, has the expertise and knowledge to treat both spider veins and varicose veins, and any other related vein disease. Call 505-848-VEIN (8346).