Many people walk through their daily lives feeling as though their legs are heavy weights that get harder and harder to move with each step. Others walk around with legs that just ache for no apparent reason. When these people lie down to rest, they may even experience an irresistible urge to move their legs in order to stop uncomfortable sensations in them. Why does this happen and what can be done to alleviate these painful symptoms?
Varicose veins are broken veins that are allowing blood to fall back down the leg instead of ascending up to the heart causing congestion and pooling in the vein. 25-30% of Americans are affected by varicose veins, and many people are unaware that they may be the cause of their leg pain and heaviness. There are numerous risk factors, but they most often are caused by age, genetics, obesity, prolonged sitting or standing, or hormones. Varicose veins are known to cause chronic leg pain, skin-thickening or discoloration, or even ulcerations that won’t heal if left untreated.
Restless Leg Syndrome
Another reason that your legs may be hurting is from a condition known as Restless Leg Syndrome, which affects 10-15% of Americans. Restless Leg Syndrome is when a patient has the irresistible urge to move their legs in order to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations in the legs. It can be caused by diabetes/neuropathy, kidney failure, anemia, vitamin and mineral deficiency or diseased veins. When the blood pools in unhealthy veins, it can lead to toxic metabolic wastes building up in the veins, causing Restless Leg Syndrome. At Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute, Dr. Cutchen will perform a Doppler Ultrasound test to see if you have unhealthy veins. According to recent studies, some RLS patients have seen a dramatic drop or elimination of their symptoms after treatment of their varicose veins.
Schedule a Free Vein Screening
Treating Varicose Veins and Restless Leg Syndrome
The good news is that varicose veins and Restless Leg Syndrome are very treatable. Insurance in some cases requires a period of conservative treatment, including leg elevation and the use of compression stockings before approving treatment. If these conservative measures alone do not solve the problem there are several other types of treatments available.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation
- Using ultrasound guidance, through a few steps, a thin laser fiber is placed into the vein through a tiny incision and moved to the top of the vein. After numbing the vein with local anesthetic, the laser is then activated and delivers heat. This heat causes the vein to collapse and close. The vein disappears in 6 – 12 months. With this in-office procedure, the patient can return to activity immediately, but will wear compression stockings for a period of time as prescribed by Dr. Cutchen.
- Endovenous Chemical Ablation (ultrasound guided foam sclerotherapy)
- This treatment targets the twisty branch varicose veins that are hidden from the naked eye. A foamy chemical irritant, called a sclerosant, is injected into the vein under ultrasound guidance. The sclerosant damages the lining of the vein causing the vein to close. The body then absorbs it over a few months. This procedure is performed in the office.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy
- This in-office treatment is an extraction procedure that is used to remove the visible bulging varicose veins through tiny incisions under local anesthesia..
My experience was first rate. Dr Cutchen is professional and down-to-earth at the same time.
I was very comfortable at this institute and the staff is friendly and helpful.
I also want to mention I am so happy with the results!!!
I highly recommend this Dr and Albuquerque Vein & Laser institute.
Take The Next Step
The next step is also a painless one! Simply call the most trusted New Mexico vein clinic – Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute – at 505-848-VEIN or fill out the form on this page and one of our staff members will reach out to you promptly. Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute is located in the Journal Center area of Albuquerque and proudly serves vein patients throughout the entire Albuquerque area, as well as Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, Santa Rosa, Los Lunas and other areas throughout New Mexico. We would love to help you get on the road to pain-free legs and a happier, healthier lifestyle.